The contract involved the transformation of an aged indoor swimming pool into The Loretto Golf Academy, a modern state of the art golf teaching facility. The 18th Century building had originally been the site of a tannery and had undergone a number of alterations over the following century prior to its closure at the end of the 19th Century. It was subsequently turned into swimming baths for Loretto School in 1919 with further refurbishment carried out in the 1950’s. The building comprised of five separate buildings/areas relating to different phases of the construction over its life time. The many differing methods of construction, buildings unconventionally joined together forming lots of awkward and intricate configurations of space required careful planning and construction sequencing.
The new Golf Academy now contains an indoor driving range, full size putting green complete with bunker, short game facility to include chipping, pitching and putting, putting analysis studio, indoor golf teaching studio complete with video and sophisticated Trackman monitoring technology, offices, reception and conference facilities and a custom fit golf shop. The derelict building has been transformed into an indoor golfing oasis where young pupils taking part in Loretto’s Schools successful and developing golf programme will be able to hone their skills and will also be used by the Scottish Golf Association national squads as well as the local community.
The refurbishment, alterations and fitout project comprised the following works:
“SJS added considerable value to the project and they exceeded our expectations. The contractual elements were completed on time and to budget but there were so many other positive additions including improvements to the design brief which have added increased functionality to the project. Nothing was too much trouble and all the SJS staff had a refreshing ‘can do’ attitude.”
– Dr Graham Hawley, Headmaster, Loretto School
Jan - Oct 2015
June 16, 2015