The contract involved the refurbishment of a space in the Heriot Watt University David Brewster Building to all the formation of new Laser labs. The contract involved major mechanical and electrical services overhaul which included specialist refrigeration and cooling systems vital for the operation of the new laser labs. Specially designed alarm systems, door controls, and security access systems were installed. Special care was required in relation to safety during the removal phase while completing the removal of toxic and hazardous waste material.
The full works comprised:
• Strip out of existing facilities along with ceilings, flooring, partitions, doors, plumbing and M&E Services
• Removal of toxic and hazardous waste materials
• Structural works which included excavating and installing new foundations
• Manufacture and installation of new doors, windows, shutters and Trespa bench work stations
• Plastering and decoration throughout
• New specialist floor finishes
• New M&E services
• New suspended ceilings throughout
All works were undertaken within a live environment and SJS were highly successful at ensuring safety and minimising disruption to staff undertaking their daily operations. Efficient planning and phasing of the works combined with effective communication from our site management team ensured all building stakeholders were made fully aware and conversant with all work activities, thus allowing the project to be completed on programme, safely and within budget.
Heriot Watt University
HERIOT WATT UNIVERSITY, Edinburgh
March - June 2016
September 21, 2012