The Scottish Prison Service (SPS) has an on-going requirement to care for prisoners with dignity and humanity also extends to prisoners and their visiting families. The project involved the formation of a new meeting facility within the Main Entrance of HMYOI Polmont, in order to create a safe, welcoming environment where visitors are met with dignity and respect with a view to improving the quality of family access and provide young people’s visitors with support on any issues or difficulties which they may face. It was critical that the new meeting facility was
constructed to high aesthetic standard equaling the quality standard of the existing surrounding finishes. All works were undertaken outside of normal working hours under lock-down conditions, carried out in a live operational secure prison environment with various elements of the work being subject to full escort procedures.
The full works comprised:
• Installation of temporary hoarding with temporary access door to screen works from staff and visitors.
• Various minor sundry down takings and furniture removal.
• Undertake design development and co-ordination with the SPS Project Management and Establishment representatives to provide detailed design of new glazed partition system and integrated building services within the new office meeting area.
• Installation of new glazed partitioning system with single access door with load bearing lid over capable of incorporating fan coil units.
• Builders work to extend building services form adjacent Visitors Waiting facility
• New M&E Service installations (AC/Vent, Lighting, Power and Fire Detection), integrated into the existing BMS.
• Suspended ceiling installation.
• Decoration to solid internal walls
• New soft floor finish to Office Area.
• Design, manufacture and installation of feature timber bulkhead to match existing reception features.
Careful and efficient planning, co-ordination, programming and sequencing of the works, stringent adherence to security protocol and establishment procedures along with effective communication with staff ensured the project was successfully delivered within a very tight 4 week period without incident or disruption to the ongoing operation of the secure facility.
Client Testimonial – John Stevenson, Project Manager, Estates and Technical Services, Scottish Prison Service
“I think the fact that the end user has reported no defects within this new office is considerable testament to the quality of the product that you have constructed for the SPS. The new office is now very much incorporated into the front of house function of the Prison.” – John
Scottish Prison Service
Jul - Aug 2014
June 15, 2017